Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Dear students, thank you


Thank you dear students for our wonderful collaboration. I learned a lot, not just from your hastily scribbled comments found in your USC Blue Book (I posted some, but the rest were equally valuable) and to some encouraging messages communicated through various ways, but also from your consistency to learn. You see, learning is a two process - we learned from each other.

But my greatest accomplishment as your teacher is to see you working hard to learn not because you were forced to but because you are motivated to study and share what you learned. Because it signaled that we met both of our objectives: As teacher to effectively facilitate the transfer of knowledge and as student/s to effectively receive such knowledge, albeit critically. 

However, some classes and student/s were too esoteric, thanks for the occasional applause and picture taking after taking the final exam! I was taken aback with the applause, but the picture taking? I'll post the photos soon. 

Unfortunately, some students failed and it saddened me given that the circumstances were truly favorable. But their must be a standard, and we are all accountable to that. It will not define your intelligence, although, quite ironically, it is often the case - but I deeply appreciate and salute  students who are equally consistent in achieving high grades, they are the exception, not the rule. It will define and give value to your perseverance and patience, discipline and commitment to learn in a specific period of time. Hence, the value of the grading system on one hand and the importance of being flexible in judging your output on the other – because your outputs were controlled by various circumstances and conditions.  Alas, we want to maintain fairness, quality, accountability. Their must be a standard that will define the quality of the teaching-learning process. And we (students and teachers) are all accountable to it, without sacrificing fairness, transparency and objectivity.

Transformative education and positive academic discipline -- two important lessons I learned from you. Transformative because your suggestions and opinions were very important to me as we journey to learn for a more decisive positive academic discipline. Hence, the transfer of knowledge should be flexible, fluid, exciting, innovative, fun -- and educational. 

I hope that I succeeded in destroying the unjust barriers to the transfer of knowledge inside and outside of our classroom. And if the transfer wasn't enough, or you need more, tell me so I can patch up and learn again.


Finally, I quoted and posted some outputs from your classmates (re: Is Education Killing Creativity in the New Economy? And the weekly homework) for you to enjoy reading and, perhaps learn. Without battling an eyelash, I also posted some personal comments. Considering how young and inexperienced I am (when it comes to teaching in a university), I feel relieved that I didn't seriously handicapped your learning, thank you for your sound judgement.  I wanted to post all but kapoy scan. Click the photo to view.





















B. Weekly Homework:



















C. Select few: Terminal Report 2: "Is Education Killing Creativity in the New Economy?" by David Liu









































































No comments:

What does Courtney Act and Rich Fernandez have in common?

Self-proclaimed Courtney Act fanboy Rich Fernandez does a fun and quirky shoot with Filipino photographer Adrian Gonzales. So who is Ri...