July 2, 2014
TO PATRIOTIC FILIPINOS
Dear Brothers and Sisters:
“Act as a free people… use your freedom as bond slaves of God. (1 Peter 2:16)”
I share the sentiments of the sovereign people of the Philippines against the pork barrel system
and all forms of corruption.
In order to put a final lid on the pork barrel system, specifically in the Legislative and Executive
branches of government, I support the following proposal from anti-pork barrel groups in the
whole country - that the sovereign people use the 1987 Philippine Constitution provision on the
passage of a law through the PEOPLE’S INITIATIVE (PI).
The national coalition - PEOPLE’S INITIATIVE TO ABOLISH THE PORK BARREL (PIAP)
Preparatory Committee (PREPCOM) has already drafted the PORK BARREL ABOLITION
ACT. This draft will be presented for approval at a People’s Congress. Then, the Congress
approved Bill will be presented to the people nationwide through a signature campaign; and is to
be approved by majority vote in a national referendum.
I therefore endorse the invitation of the anti-pork barrel groups in the country to a:
NATIONAL PEOPLE’S CONGRESS
Mariners’ Court, Pier 1, Cebu City
August 23, 2014; 8:00 AM-3:00 PM
LAUNCHING OF SIGNATURE CAMPAIGN
FOR THE (PI) PORK BARREL ABOLITION ACT
Plaza Independencia, Cebu City
August 23, 2014; 2:30 PM-6:00 PM
Attached is a separate Invitation Letter from the PREPCOM of the PEOPLE’S INITIATIVE TO
ABOLISH THE PORK BARREL.
I pray that you would join me and the anti-pork barrel groups in the country, as we forge a
national unity as GOD’S LOVING CHILDREN and as PATRIOTIC FILIPINOS.
In Jesus’ name, I remain
+JOSE S. PALMA, D.D.
Archbishop of Cebu
July 2, 2014
Greetings from the People’s Initiative to Abolish the Pork Barrel!
The evils of corruption have entrenched virtually all levels of government and have deeply wounded our people, especially the poor.
Despite the Supreme Court’s Decision declaring the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) and the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) as unconstitutional, pork barrel has remained in many disguised forms, in the budgeting and disbursing by government offices and agencies.
Various groups throughout the country have recently formed the national coalition “People’s Initiative to Abolish the Pork Barrel”. Among the members are the Abolish Pork Movement, Cebu Coalition Against the Pork Barrel System, Church People’s Alliance Against the Pork Barrel, Empowered People's Initiative and Reform Movement Alliance (ePIRMA), the Makabayan group, Scrap Pork Network, and the Solidarity for Transformation Philippines.
We invite you to join the:
1. People’s Congress on the People’s Initiative to Abolish the Pork Barrel
Mariners’ Court in Cebu City; Saturday, August 23, 2014 from 8:30 AM until 3:00 PM.
2) Launching of the Signature CampaignPlaza Independencia, Cebu City on August 23, 2014 from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM.
We hope that there will be delegates from each Congressional District in your province.
The People’s Congress is to approve the draft Pork Barrel Abolition Act, and organize the nationwide signature campaign to approve the Act. We aim to gather signatures of at least 12% of all registered voters in the country and at least 12% of the registered voters in EACH of the 234 legislative districts.
LET US UNITE as one people. Only by being united can we succeed. Let us reform our political system, starting with the abolition of the pork barrel!
JOIN US and see you all on August 23, 2014!
National People’s Congress
Mariners’ Court, Pier 1, Cebu City
August 23, 2014
Summary of the People’s Initiative Bill
AN ACT ABOLISHING THE PORK BARREL SYSTEM
This Act abolishes the presidential and congressional pork barrel, mandates line item budgeting, prohibits and criminalizes appropriation and use of lump sum discretionary funds, and penalizes violators with six years and one day to ten years imprisonment and disqualification from holding public office.
Definition of pork barrel
Pork Barrel is a lump sum public fund With sole discretion given to the President, legislator or group of legislators, or any public officer. The exercise of discretion by public officers relates to the allocation, release or use of these public funds, the identification or selection of projects, implementors or beneficiaries, or any or a combination of or all of these.
- All proposed budgets shall contain only itemized or line-item appropriations, except in the case of disaster reponse, the contingency fund of up to 5% and intelligence/confidential funds of the National Security Council, the Department of National Defense and the Department of Interior and Local Governments.
- Special Funds like Malampaya Funds and other off-budget accounts shall be included in the National Expenditure Program (NEP) to be approved by Congress. The President Social Fund is abolished.
- All unspent, unobligated and unreleased funds by the end of the fiscal year shall revert to or remain in the General Fund and shall be subject to Congress appropriation.
The penalty of imprisonment of six years and one day to ten years and perpetual disqualification from public office shall be imposed those who commit any of the following acts:
- Any national official (the President, his subordinate or member of Congress) who authorizes the spending of public money that is not covered by or is in violation of any appropriation law.
- Any national official who includes a lump sum amount in any budget proposal submitted to Congress, or any member of Congress who approves the inclusion of lump sum discretionary fund in the general or supplemental appropriations acts.
- Any member of Congress or his agent who directly or indirectly intervenes or participates in the implementation of any appropriation law through any post-enactment act or practice.
- Any national official who declares and utilize savings in circumvention or violation of Article VI Section 25 (5) of the Constitution and this Act.
- Any national official who withdraws unobligated funds and declares and utilize as savings said unobligated funds before the end of the fiscal year.
- Any national official who impounds any appropriation or portion thereof unless there is an official declaration by the President of an unmanageable National Government budget deficit.
- Any person, including a private individual, who persuades or cooperates with any national official in violating this Act.
Amendment and repealing clause
This Act may only be repealed, modified or amended by a law that has been approved by the people under the system of initiative and referendum enshrined in the Constitution.